Access to transportation is a significant barrier to employment for many families in Windsor-Essex County.
Having access to a reliable vehicle can be a game-changer for families living in low-income. Dependable transportation can help people secure stable employment, access post-secondary education, and help parents supports themselves and their families.
Since 2014, the Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives program has worked to address transportation barriers by providing deserving families in the community with a one-time gift of a refurbished, used vehicle.
Students at local high schools, with the support and guidance of their mechanics teacher, repair the donated vehicles for the families who are selected to receive the vehicles. The program was created by two teachers from Ecole secondaire catholique E.J. Lajeunesse.
Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives has engaged over 400 students and provided 12 vehicles to deserving families in our community.
In order to be eligible for a vehicle from the Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Living in low-income and be a resident of Windsor-Essex County
- Able to demonstrate that they have exhausted other funding opportunities
- Have a valid Ontario Driver’s License
- Have or be in the process of securing a verifiable job or be enrolled in post-secondary education
- Able to afford the ongoing cost of car ownership
Applying for Support
We are not currently accepting applications. Please check back for the next opportunity to apply for the Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives program.
Mail: RWRL c/o United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County
300 Giles Boulevard East, Unit A1
Windsor, ON N9A 4C4
If you have any questions, please contact 519-259-6196 or use the email above.
If you are interested in donating your vehicle to the Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives Program, please contact 519-259-6169. A charitable tax receipt can be provided.
United Way is proud to support the Rebuilding Wheels Rebuilding Lives program, along with the following donors and supporters:
E.J. Lajeunesse Program Site
- Ecole secondaire catholique E.J. Lajeunesse
- Conseil scolaire catholique Providence
- Benson Auto Parts
- Beverly Tire & Auto
- Jeff Smith’s County Chevrolet Essex
Leamington District Secondary Program Site
- Leamington District Secondary School
- Greater Essex County District School Board
- D&T Auto Parts
- John’s Auto Repair
- Leamington Chrysler