What will your legacy be?
Making a donation to United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County through a legacy gift is an extraordinary statement of your generosity and commitment to your local community. A legacy gift to United Way provides you with the opportunity to give beyond your lifetime.
There is no minimum amount for a legacy gift, and gifts can be made in the form of cash, securities, or other financial instruments, as a one-time gift or in perpetuity.
Legacy gifts are pooled in The Tomorrow Fund™, unless otherwise specified. The Tomorrow Fund™ is invested by United Way and is used to support transformational community investments by United Way.
Honour a loved one
Why Derek decided to leave a legacy gift
Ways to Give
Leaving a legacy gift is flexible with giving options that include:
- A gift in your will
- A gift of life insurance
- Appreciated property and securities
- Charitable gift annuities
- Charitable remainder trust
- Pooled income fund
- In memoriam gifts in honour of a loved one
There are valuable benefits when you give certain financial instruments directly to United Way. Depending on the type of legacy gift, benefits may include:
- Tax credit of your gift to pass on to beneficiaries
- Tax benefits now and during your lifetime
- Reduction or elimination of capital gains tax on appreciated assets
- Enhancement of after-tax returns on invested capital
- Retention of the life use of a donated asset while still receiving a current tax credit
- Reduction of estate costs
Please read our fundraising and endowment policy for further details.
Plan Your Legacy Gift
Your legal or financial advisor can guide you in choosing the best way to make a gift that fulfills your needs and provides maximum benefits. For a confidential discussion about legacy giving or to let us know about an existing legacy gift to United Way in your estate plans, please contact Andrew Bothamley, Vice-President, Finance & Operations at United Way at email@example.com or 519-259-6159.