What will your legacy be?
Making a donation to United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County through a legacy gift is an extraordinary statement of your generosity and commitment to your local community. A legacy gift to United Way provides you with the opportunity to give beyond your lifetime.
There is no minimum amount for a legacy gift, and gifts can be made in the form of cash, securities, or other financial instruments, as a one-time gift or in perpetuity.
Legacy gifts are pooled in The Tomorrow Fund™, unless otherwise specified. The Tomorrow Fund™ is invested by United Way and is used to support transformational community investments by United Way.
Honour a loved one
Meaningful conversations with family can start with a planned gift
United Way donor, Kyle Kootstra, says conversations about philanthropy can help create a sense of identity and legacy among family members, specifically the younger generation.
Ways to Give
Leaving a legacy gift is flexible with giving options that include:
- A gift in your will
- A gift of life insurance
- Appreciated property and securities
- Charitable gift annuities
- Charitable remainder trust
- Pooled income fund
- In memoriam gifts in honour of a loved one
There are valuable benefits when you give certain financial instruments directly to United Way. Depending on the type of legacy gift, benefits may include:
- Tax credit of your gift to pass on to beneficiaries
- Tax benefits now and during your lifetime
- Reduction or elimination of capital gains tax on appreciated assets
- Enhancement of after-tax returns on invested capital
- Retention of the life use of a donated asset while still receiving a current tax credit
- Reduction of estate costs
Please read our fundraising and endowment policy for further details.
Why Derek decided to leave a legacy gift
Plan Your Legacy Gift
Your legal or financial advisor can guide you in choosing the best way to make a gift that fulfills your needs and provides maximum benefits. For a confidential discussion about legacy giving or to let us know about an existing legacy gift to United Way in your estate plans, please contact Andrew Bothamley, Vice-President, Finance & Operations at United Way at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-259-6159.