May 24, 2019
For Immediate Release
The Windsor and District Labour Council announces the winners of the fourth Annual Gary L Parent Union Activists Awards. The awards recognize the efforts of those activists within the labour community, who have toiled away in a variety of ways and areas of interests, in an attempt to make our community a better one. Their efforts are far too often unrecognized, as they frequently work anonymously behind the scenes. These awards are designed to shine the light on those activists.
In addition, OCHOW will present the Rolly Marentette Health and Safety award and United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County will present their 2nd annual John Toth Community Champion Legacy Award, the first of which was presented to John Toth last year.
The winners will be honoured at a reception on Monday May 27, 2019 at the Ciociaro Club. 3745 North Talbot Rd Oldcastle. Food and cash bar 5:00 pm, Program begins at 6:00 pm. Doors Open 4:30 pm.
The Keynote speaker will be Marion Overholt of Legal Assistance of Windsor.
This year’s winners for each category are:
- Environmental - Frank Butler, COPE 343
- Health and Safety - Ron Moisenko, UNIFOR 444
- Human Rights - Elizabeth Ha, OPSEU 154
- Political Action - Ray Hachey, UNIFOR 444
- Public Education Advocacy - Dean Hughes, OECTA Secondary
- Public Services - Benn McBride, OPSEU 154
- Social Justice - Catherine Owen, CUPW 630
- Women’s - Susan Gold, WUFA
- Community Partner - Marion Overholt , Legal Assistance of Windsor
- United Way/Centraide Windsor-Essex County John Toth Community Champion Legacy Award - Phil Lyons, CUPW 630
- The OHCOW – Rolly Marentette Award - Nicole Simpson, UNIFOR 195
For more information please contact Brian Hogan 226.348.7597 or Graham Cooper 519.252.8281